Friday, June 05, 2009

Speaking Your Mind

Every once in a while someone will hurt another and rationalize it by saying, "I always speak my mind." I was reminded today reading David Jeremiah's devotional that speaking one's mind is not always the right and loving thing to do. Let's be reminded of the following Scriptures:

  • A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man holds it in check. [Prov 29:11]
  • My dearly loved brothers, understand this: everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger [James 1:19]
  • The one who guards his mouth protects his life; the one who opens his lips invites his own ruin [Prov 13:3]
  • No rotten talk should come from your mouth, but only what is good for the building up of someone in need, in order to give grace to those who hear. [Eph 4:29]

Remember all things, especially your speech, should be done in love. Most of the time "speaking my mind" means I'm going to say something hurtful. That's not the job of the believer. The job of the believer is to lift people up, not tear them down.

Just musing.

No comments: