Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Sanford "Affair"

You can't go anywhere today without hearing about the Sanford "affair." For those not from SC, you've probably heard the story about our governor; it's all over the news. I've reflected on all this from a biblical perspective and here are some random thoughts.
  • We live in a fallen world and people sin, and sin always has terrible consequences.
  • Integrity matters--always. A good name is better than riches [Prov 22:1].
  • Believers must always have a heart of compassion and forgiveness [Matthew 18].
  • Believers must never put too much trust in politics or politicians--our citizenship is in heaven and only our Lord is perfect!
  • Believers have a responsibility to pray for our leaders [1 Timoth 2:1-3]. One thought that crossed my mind this morning was--if Christians prayed more for leaders, praying for a spiritual mind, a submissive spirit, and protection from the evil one, would this happen less frequently? God convicted me to be less critical and more prayerful.

I think too I must be consistent with this. When President Clinton was caught in his affair with Monica Lewinski, I believed strongly that he broke the public's trust and should resign. Contrary to his supporters, I believed then that his affair showed a basic flaw in character that inhibits sound decision making. I believe that now about Governor Sanford. He should resign. There's a problem deep down in his soul that also inhibits sound decision making. Besides, he should concern himself now with healing himself and his family.

I've committed myself to pray for the governor and his family. I hope you'll join me.

1 comment:

Zach said...

I completely agree with you that Sanford should step down...but, I would take Sanford's depraved decision making before settling for Andre Bauer who has never made a decision. I do feel that Sanford's responsibility is to his family right now...but whatever happens, step down or not, the people of SC are getting thrown under the bus.