Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Need for Silence

Al Mohler's always insightful blog has an entry today about the need for silence. Primarily he discusses children but the need is just as real for adults.

Similarly, I've just begun the book A Praying Life by Paul Miller. I read this only a couple of hours before Mohler's blog. He writes:

American culture is probably the hardest place in the world to learn to pray. We prize accomplishments, production. But prayer is nothing but talking to God. It feels useless, as if we are wasting time. Every bone in our bodies screams, 'Get to work.'

When we aren't working, we are used to being entertained. Television, the Internet, video games, and cell phones make free time as busy as work. When we do slow down, we slip into a stupor. Exhausted by the pace of life, we veg out in front of a screen or with earplugs.

If we try to be quiet, we are assaulted by what C.S. Lewis called 'the Kingdom of Noise.' Everywhere we go we hear the background noise. If the noise isn't provided for us, we can bring our own via iPod.

How true. I've become more and more enamored with silence. To use a quote from a recent blog entry, I've been working on 'ruthlessly eliminating hurry.' That would include having to have noise all the time.

I've never been able to truly study with noise or read with any kind of comprehension when there is something else going on. My staff here at Fairview laugh because I've always got a fan going [even in winter]. It is used primarily to drown out any extemporaneous noise. I'm applying that more and more to my spiritual life with increasing benefits. Try silence. You'll like it.

"Be still and know I am God" [Psalm 46:10].

No comments: