Tuesday, May 16, 2006

SBC Presidency Debate

I'm glad there is a healthy debate in the SBC concerning the upcoming presidential election at the Greensboro convention in June. I've been concerned for many years about the lack of good ol' fashioned Baptist debate for the convention's top spot. I think there should always be a choice. Baptists, I believe, will make the right choice.

What about the issues that have been brought up about Ronnie Floyd. The primary one seems to be the lack of Cooperative Program giving by his church. I do not believe that should be an issue. A certain percentage of CP giving [10% or otherwise] should never be a litmus test for cooperation. Plus there is a question of just how much FBC Springdale gives. The church's percentage giving is low, according to reports, but administrative staff indicate giving to overall missions and SBC causes is much higher. I believe in the CP, but it should NEVER be used to determine whether or not a man is qualified as a cooperating Southern Baptist. Each local church should determine CP giving for itself. The SBC must not infringe upon the autonomy of the local church in this matter.

Paige Patterson has also been criticized for recently endorsing Floyd. Although Dr. Patterson is president of an SBC entity [Southwestern Seminary], he himself is a past president of the convention and an individual Southern Baptist. Since when did an individual Southern Baptist not be allowed to voice his opinion [oh, I forgot, if you are a member of the IMB Board of Trustees! That's another opinion for another day]. I believe Dr. Patterson or any other Southern Baptist has the right to state his/her opinion and endorse any candidate. That's the Baptist way.

I'm gratified that there is debate. For many years the presidential election at the SBC has been a yawner. I'm sorry I'm teaching that week and won't be there to see and hear it all in person. I will be in prayer for the decision.

For more read: http://bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=23243

1 comment:

LivingDust said...

I agree with you that CP giving by a church congregatioin should never be a litmus test for cooperation and to determine whether or not a man is qualified. I read somewhere earlier this evening that Dr. Floyd's congregation had spent approximately $2.5 million on missions last fiscal year. That is a significant percentage of a $12 million annual budget.