Monday, January 02, 2006

New Year Prayer

We're back from our Christmas vacation. Our family was well, and although we enjoyed our visit with everyone it was wonderful to see the Burleson, TX city limit sign! My wife and I agree that the trip gets longer every year.

Our New Year's Day church attendance was a bit low, but it was a spirited group. It was good to be back in the pulpit. I really can't be out more than one week before getting the "itch" to preach. My sermon was taken from Philippians 4. During my vacation, the Lord kept bringing me back to the passage for my New Year's message. It was entitled "A New Year's Prayer." This is a prayer for myself, for my congregation at Riverside, and for you as well.

In 2006 I pray that I will:

  • Be more joyful-"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say rejoice" [v. 4].
  • Be more gentle-"Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is near [v. 5].
  • Be more prayerful-"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" [vv. 6-7].
  • Be more thoughtful-I need to "think the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse" [v. 8 Msg].
  • Be more content-"Not that I speak in respect from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am" [v. 11]. [By the way, I believe this really is a key verse in Philippians].
  • Be more giving-"Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction" [v. 14].
  • Be more of an example-"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things; and the God of peace shall be with you" [v. 9].

Happy New Year!

No comments: