Monday, January 16, 2006

Biblical Illiteracy & Training Union

There is an interesting feature in the latest Baptist Standard concerning religious education, or perhaps the lack of it in Baptist churches. Some of the salient quotes:

  • "People already are biblically illiterate. It's scary what they don't know, and I'm afraid it will only get worse" [Dennis Parrott, minister of education].
  • "There's been a decline in emphasis on religious education in churches" [Budd Smith, B.H. Carroll Institute]. Smith goes on to say, "It's no fault of any particular church or group, but the focus now is on worship. In the meantime, there's been a movement away from education."

Smith traces the de-emphasis in religious education and decline in biblical illiteracy among Baptists to the demise of what was known as Traning Union [Discipleship Training when I became a Christian]. I would agree. Almost all the biblical/doctrinal/practical training I received as a young believer was at 5:00pm on Sunday nights during the time set aside for Discipleship Training. It was during that time I learned the basic doctrines of the church, how to read my Bible, how to pray, the need to tithe and serve using my spiritual gifts. It was during that time I learned how give the "weekly devotion," a prelude to my preaching ministry.

I attribute the development of my basic convictions to religious education, given by my church during the Discipleship Training hour. It's a shame that our emphasis upon worship and "personal experience" have placed religious education on the back-burner.

There is a real hunger among believers today for in-depth biblical teaching. I would urge pastors and religious educators to make sure that hunger is met. While people do respond to the topical classes that deal with "felt need," I truly think most believers still want a firm foundation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am someone who needs more religious education...I never went through Training Union...I was baptised at 12 but really didn't know what it was all about...I went to work at age 14 while I was going to school...seems I always worked on Sundays. My parents taught me the difference in right and wrong, but God wasn't talked about very much in my home. I grew up knowing and believing in God but never proclaiming it publicly,and really never got much religious education. I don't blame anyone but myself for that. I'm embarrassed to say when I did go to church and the preacher would say and you know the story...well I never knew any of the stories. Today, I am proud to say I'm a Christian at Riverside Baptist Church, and I appreciate everyone and everything there,but really get a lot from the Wed. night Bible study.