Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas Services

I was interested in the front page of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram today. Pastor Ed Young, Jr. of Fellowship Church in Grapevine is featured. It appears that Fellowship Church will not be holding church services on Christmas morning, which of course, is on a Sunday this year. The last time Christmas fell on a Sunday, there were only a handful of his members there. There are other mega-churches listed in the article which are not holding services either.

To be fair, Fellowship is offering serveral worship experiences leading up to Christmas morning and a steaming-video on their website on that day. But I wonder, shouldn't the church of all places be open for business on Christmas morning? Should it really matter to church leadership how many people show up for the service? Are we becoming too pragmatic and consumer oriented?

At Riverside Baptist, we are having one service on Sunday. We will not have our usual Sunday School or evening service. I am sensitive to the need for people to have their family traditions; I have them too. But isn't the first and foremost priority of the church to worship? Doesn't it send the wrong signal to the world if the church doesn't open its doors on a Sunday morning--especially Sunday morning, December 25?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I guess this means that I will not be seeing you in the city of Kennett.
The Pentecostals of Troy Il will be having church at 6:00 PM Sunday night Christmas Day.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn and I will be in Church on Christmas day...also my store will be open on Christmas day...I'm embarrassed by my company being so money hungry,but should I blame my company or the last minute shoppers who always show up.

Anonymous said...

Christmas Day services at River side Baptist were great. Ray did a very good sermon and Paul did an outstanding job on "special music".The entire congregation lay hands on Darrel Smith for his upcoming leg surgery. We all pray for him.
Hope your trip to Missouri was enjoyable.
Bob and Carolyn