Monday, May 02, 2011

Should I Dance Today?

It was at 4:30 this morning that I flipped on Fox News and found out that Osama bin Laden was dead, killed by Navy Seals. My first reaction was of elation, extremely happy and satisfied that justice had finally been served upon the mastermind of 9/11. I thought, Well I wish it hadn't taken ten years! It wasn't but a few minutes afterward, however, that the thought occurred to me—where is Bin Laden now?—separated from God for eternity. Should I be happy about that? Thus, there is an ethical dilemma for the Christian today.

There is dancing in the streets of America. At Ground Zero, the White House, West Point, the Naval Academy, and in countless other American locations last night and into the wee hours of the morning there was joy at the death of the hated terrorist. I've seen the video of the various places, including the Phillies home ball park during last night's baseball game, of singing and chants of "USA, USA, USA". But should the Christian dance? Should the Christian sing? Should the Christian be joyful?

I've done a lot of thinking about this today and here are my conclusions. First, I understand the jubilation. Bin Laden planned a terror attack that affected and still affects so many. I saw a man interviewed this morning whose son died in one of the Twin Towers—he still feels the pain. I understand his joy today because some justice has come. Bin Laden is the symbol of terrorism that we've fought so hard against for a decade. So I get the jubilation. As an American I too want justice. Plus, I'm proud of our troops, the work they do, the sacrifices they make, and the undeniable bravery and heroism they display daily to keep us free from any more 9/11s.

But is my primary loyalty to America? Who is to be Lord of my life? It is not any American. It is Jesus Christ. I must ask then, how would He expect me to react? I don't have to look very far: "You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven" [Matthew 5:43-45]. As Jesus hung on the cross, he prayed, "Father forgive them, because they do not know what they are doing" [Luke 23:34].

Can I leave out Paul's teachings? "Friends, do not avenge yourselves; instead, leave room for His wrath. For it is written: Vengeance belongs to Me; I will repay, says the Lord. But if your enemy is hungry, feed him. If he is thirsty, give him something to drink…Do not be conquered by evil, but conquer evil with good" [Romans 12:19-21].

Both Jesus and Paul seem to indicate that I should not be dancing today.

Is God pleased today about the death of Bin Laden? Let's remember that "God so loved the world," [John 3:16]. Jesus died for Bin Laden just as He died for me. God does 'not want anyone to perish but all to come to repentance' [2 Peter 3:9]. God's heart breaks when any human being lives his life in rejection of His Son's sacrifice. God's heart breaks for any human being spending eternity separated from Him. Yet God always allows us to make our own decisions about what we will do or not do with His Son Jesus. We must all eternally live with that decision, including Bin Laden.

I am an American. But I am a Christian first. Thus while some part of me is greatly relieved that justice has been done (as far as this life is concerned), I must be burdened that there is eternal justice that is much more important—and that justice will be done as well. No doubt--it is a dilemma. I am torn. But I have reached a conclusion:

Whether it is Bin Laden or my neighbor down the road, I should not dance in the street when someone dies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Patton, thank you for your message tonight at Hour of Encouragement and I was going to ask for a copy but as always you are many steps ahead of me and here is a short version on your blog!!It needs to go out all over the world!!
Thank you for being my pastor, Helen Bagwell