Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring Training


Earlier this month I finally did something I had wanted to do for 20 years--go to Florida and take in some spring training baseball. Andrew and I hit three places: Lakeland and Tigertown, Braves camp the Wide World of Sports complex, and Kissimmee for the Houston Astros.

Overall it was a great time. The weather made me wonder why in the world I had left Florida over a decade ago. That was stupid! Anyway, it was a super week. Spring training crowds are certainly laid back as are the games, but still it is baseball so who cares.

Best Atmosphere--Tigertown--we had a great Sunday afternoon there.

Most boring crowd--Kissimmee--It was a Tuesday afternoon I guess. I thought I was at an AARP convention.

Best Complex--Braves at ESPN Wide World of Sports--that is an awesome facility. Don't eat at the ESPN Sports Grill, though--not too good. All three places we went to were great though.

Best Food--Hands down it was Tigertown at Lakeland. The BBQ nachos are to die for!

Biggest Surprise--the sea of Cardinal Red at the Wednesday afternoon Braves/Cards game. That was awesome!

I was disappointed that the prices for concessions, tickets, etc. are way too high. I thought I was back at the Ballpark at Arlington paying way too much money for hot dogs and bottled waters. That was a surprise really. Tickets can be had cheaper for seats at a regular season game. When I paid the same money for a bleacher seat than for a nice regular seat at the Braves' complex I was a bit put out. So I definately spent more money than expected.

Was it worth it? Absolutely! I hope to do it again--heading next time to southern Florida or to Tampa and that side of Florida's Grapefruit League. Andrew wants Arizona to check out the Rangers. So we may try the Cactus League.

No comments: