Thursday, March 12, 2009

Who's The Boss?

In His instructions to the 12 in Matthew 10, Jesus said, "Don't take along gold, silver, or copper for your money belts. Don't take a traveling bag for the road, or an extra shirt, sandals, or a walking stick, for the worker is worthy of his food" [vv. 9-10]. Among the many things the Lord tells His disciples as they prepare for their first mission without Him is to live simply. That's something the modern minister needs to think about. Also, and for the benefit of this brief post, they were to live in dependence upon Jesus and upon the people whom Jesus would use to meet their needs.

D.A. Carson has written, "The church does not pay its ministers; rather, it provides them with resources so that they are able to serve freely." I don't work for the church. I am called by the Lord to serve a church. The Lord then moves upon the church to meet my financial needs so I may serve Him and fulfill my calling from Him freely. Of course, I am accountable to the church for my stewardship of that call, but the bottom line is that I work for the Lord through serving the church as pastor.

Therefore, I am not an employee of the church. I am not "hired" by the membership. I am the church's servant. I serve out my calling from God freely because the church is obedient to the Lord. I'm thankful for their obedience, and I should and hope to never take that their obedience for granted.

Who's the boss? Ultimately for both the members of the church and myself, it is God! Let's get out of the "hire" mode! The church is not a business.

No comments: