Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dr. William Reynolds

I was sad to hear about the death of Dr. William J. Reynolds. Dr. Reynolds, a foremost composer and hymnologist, wrote "Share His Love," among many other songs and hymns. We've sung that one often in our worship serivces. I believe he was the primary editor of the 1975 Baptist Hymnal. I had the privilege of sitting under Dr. Reynolds in "Preacher Music 101" at Southwestern Seminary. I'm sure he's helping to lead a choir in glory today!

I have on my shelf, Songs of Glory: Stories of 300 Great Hymns and Gospel Songs, written by Dr. Reynolds several years ago. I remember well that he would often tell a story in class about a hymn before we'd sing it. I've used several of these stories over the years as illustrations and still pick it up from time to time to read it devotionally. Many of the stories are quite inspiring.

No comments: