Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sherman Book



I highly recommend the book below. A different kind of book is the autobiography of Cecil Sherman. I had never read a moderate Baptist's view of the SBC controversy of the 80s and 90s, which ultimately led to the formation of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. Sherman, a leader in the movement and first director of CBF, tells his story, which by his own admission is from his own point of view.

I appreciated reading his own account of the controversy, and although I still cannot hold to a moderate's view of the Bible, I've often wondered what our convention would look like today if everyone involved in Baptist politics had found some sort of common ground. Perhaps it just wasn't possible. I know there are always two sides to every break-up, and it was good for me to read about the Baptist divorce from one who was in leadership on the moderate side.

My favorite part of the book, however, is Sherman's account of his pastoral ministry. His fight against racism while at First Baptist Asheville is a story of courage and integrity forged in conflict. Every pastor, particularly young ones, would benefit from reading that section of the book.

The last section of the book is the story of his wife's [Dot] battle with Alzheimer's. It is a story of love and commitment that proves the words, "for better or for worse," mean something.

By the way, Paige Patterson has offered an interesting review of this book:

http://www.baptisttheology.org/ByMyOwnReckoning.cfm

No comments: