Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Missouri Gideons

Gideons in the South Iron School District in Missouri are no longer allowed to distribute Bibles--not in the classroom, lunchroom, before, or after school. The 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals granted a permanent injunction on a suit filed by the ACLU two years ago. Four sets of parents sued the school district. Quoting the Washington Post, "The parents who sued are Christian but believe religious beliefs should be taught in the home, not school." Wow! Can you imagine Christians suing the school district over Bible distribution? It seems like an oxymoron to me.

I remember getting a Gideon Bible in elementary school years ago. I didn't know the Lord; my family did not go to church too often. I don't remember it so bothering my conscious that my parents wanted to throw Bibles out of the schools. I still have the Bible in my desk drawer.

One of these days God will finally tire of the United States of America constantly nudging Him out of the country. I'm thankful for His patience, but the Scriptures are clear that God will not always be patient toward a rebellious people.

My prayer is that the ruling in Missouri will be overturned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

whoops, wrong button - let's try that again. :)

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about the separation of church and state? Would you be okay with the Mormon missionaries handing out Book of Mormons at a school assembly?