Saturday, January 26, 2008

Hills to Die On

An old preacher told me years ago that I must be careful and choose my battles in ministry very carefully. I had a similar conversation with a fellow minister this week. He asked what were the hills I would die on in ministry. There are only three. First is the doctrinal hill. My basic theological convictions are non-negotiables. Second is the ethical hill. Clear ethical mandates from Scripture must be upheld no matter who or what the circumstances. Third is the church purpose/ministry hill. If something threatens the overall purpose and ministry of the church as a whole, I would be ready for battle. A pastor must defend the flock against those who threaten unity, purpose, and overall ministry.

So there are my three hills. In other areas I believe there may be room for negotiation and even compromise along the lines of Paul who wrote that he would become all things to all people so he might save some [1 Cor 9:22].

No comments: