Thursday, January 08, 2009

Succeeding a Moses

I'm studying Joshua 1 in preparation for a sermon and was struck again at the magnitude of succeeding a giant. Just read the few verses that end Deuteronomy and see what kind of man Moses was. One writer calls him, "Moses the Incomparable." No wonder Joshua was a bit fearful.

Yet there is one truth that jumps off the page of Joshua 1. Dale Ralph Davis writes, "Moses may die; God's promise lives on. There is a passing of an era yet the endurance of the promise. Yahweh's fidelity does not hinge on the achievements of men, however gifted they may be, nor does it evaporate in the face of funerals of men."

He is so right. When someone passes off the scene God always has another to take his place. Moses was dead, so God used Joshua. That thought humbles me. God will use me today, but tomorrow He will use somebody else. God's work goes on. Thus I should never think the church can't get by without me. It can and will. In the meantime, I am simply to be faithful. I'm standing on the shoulders of others. One day others will stand upon mine.

No comments: