Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Everything Pastor

Bill Mounce has an excellent discussion on the Koinonia blog about the pastor-teacher. His entry begins with the Greek grammar of Ephesians 4:11. Is the pastor/teacher one office or two or some kind of combination. When he finishes with that, he deals with the astronomical problems a pastor of a larger church faces when he alone is the 'captain of the ship.'

http://zondervan.typepad.com/koinonia/2008/10/pastors-and-tea.html#more

I am the "lead" pastor of my church. I do have a finger in a lot of areas of church life, but I don't have to make all the decisions. I have other pastors on staff who have their own areas of responsibility and do it well. I also have lay-ministry teams that take care of many other areas of church life. I don't have to know all the details; I don't even go to all the meetings, but I do know generally what is happening and my opinion is often asked and appreciated. There are some situations in which I simply am not qualified to give an intelligent answer. I have to trust people who know what they're doing.

Someone needs to set the direction of the church. I think that is the primary responsibility of the lead pastor, senior pastor, or whatever you want to call him. But he needs help. If he doesn't want it, he will burn out and the church and his own ministry will be a disaster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger,
The team here at SoundOffSouth.com likes what you do. We have added your blog to SouthOffSouth.com which is the “one stop shop” for local blogs in Upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina.
We picked your blog because of the connection to the area, your regular blog updates and because you always do your blog in good taste. Obviously we reserve the right to remove your blog from the site if this changes.
SoundOffSouth.com is home to blogs about everything. There are blogs about parenting, photography, music, books, dieting, politics, art and so much more. This site is a way for folks to connect with local bloggers, for bloggers to find a wider audience and give everyone a fun place to “sound off!”
Congratulations on being a part of SoundOffSouth.com! Log on and let us know what you think. Send your comments or questions to SoundOffSouth@Gmail.com.
The SouthOffSouth.com Staff