Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Passion Narrative in Mark

I noted on David Alan Black's blog the other day his note on the bloodlessness of the Gospel Passion narratives as the reason he didn't care to see Mel Gibson's movie. Of course that film was quite explicit in that area. It happens that I'm reading Mark's account of the crucifixion now in my devotion time, and I must say that I agree with Dr. Black. Mark does not focus on the physical abuse of Jesus. Why? I think perhaps the focus is instead on the obedience of Jesus to face the cross. The key to chapter 14 of Mark, I think, is the Garden scene where Jesus prays and concludes, "Not my will by your will be done." The physical suffering of Jesus is certainly a fact, and "The Passion of the Christ" deals with that in intricate detail. The Gospels, however, have a different focus--Jesus became "obedient unto death, even death on the cross." I too would rather focus on that.

No comments: