Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Pastoral Dinosaur

These days I feel like a old dinosaur, out of place for sure. For example:
  • I'm a "pastor" not an "elder."
  • My church is "traditional" not "contemporary." It also still has monthly business meetings.
  • My church has "Baptist" on the sign out front.
  • We have Sunday School instead of home groups.
  • I accept both God's sovereignty and human responsibility/free will [I guess I'm a Calmenian].

What is upsetting these days is beliefs as those above are seen by too many as either archaic or unbiblical. But show me in the Bible where I must be an elder or have an elder led church? Show me in the Bible that human beings have no responsibility to decide for Christ? Why can't we be proud of our Baptist heritage instead of ashamed of it? Are you absolutely sure cell groups are better than Sunday School? Our current senior generation is not the only one which grew up with the hymnbook. Is it not possible that some of our hymns have been around so long because they minister to people and glorify God?

Just more musings from a country preacher.

No comments: